As promised, I’d like to introduce my friend, Brianna, with a guest recipe today on Every Which Whey —
Hello! My name is Brianna. I’m a senior at the University of Florida and the voice behind Hungry Gator Gal. HGG chronicles my adventures as I “chomp” my way through mostly healthy recipes in “the Swamp” (a.k.a. Gainesville, Florida).
If you visit the recipe pages for HGG and EWW, you’ll find that both Whitney and I are oat fanatics. Our affinity for the quick-cooking super food served as inspiration for the following healthy breakfast: Lemon Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats Parfait.
This warmer-weather breakfast that “cooks” in the fridge overnight is both gluten- and dairy-free. Despite the absence of yogurt, the parfait is incredibly filling due to the powerhouse combination of banana, blueberries, vanilla protein powder, oats and chia seeds.
Lemon juice and lemon zest give the vanilla oats layer an unexpected tang, while the creamy blueberry-banana layer provides a popsicle-like sweetness that screams summer.
You can even top the meal off with extra banana slices, blueberries, nuts or nut butter.
I topped my parfait-in-an-empty-jar with a dollop of one of my favorite nut butters – Barney Butter Crunchy Almond Butter.
I hope you try the recipe, which you’ll find below, and check out my other summer breakfast staples at HGG. Have a good one!
Lemon Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats Parfait
Recipe from Hungry Gator Gal
Total Preparation Time: Five minutes
Cook Time: At least 3-4 hours in the fridge
- One banana
- ¼ cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- Zest from half of a lemon (About one teaspoon)
- Juice from 1/3 of a lemon (About two teaspoons)
- One tablespoon chia seeds
- Dash of cinnamon
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Body Fortress Super Advanced Vanilla Whey Protein.)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup almond milk (I used unsweetened vanilla.)
- Mix oats, protein powder, cinnamon and chia seeds in a medium-sized bowl or jar until everything is evenly distributed.
- Grate lemon zest into the oat mixture.
- Add lemon juice, almond milk and vanilla extract. Stir.
- Add banana and blueberries to a food processor or blender (I use a bullet blender). Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon 1/3 of banana-blueberry mixture on the bottom of your bowl or jar. Top with 1/3 of the oat mixture. Repeat.
- Cover the bowl or jar. Place in the refrigerator to “cook” overnight (at least 3-4 hours).
- If desired, add up to 1/4 cup milk to the mixture and top with banana slices, blueberries, nuts or nut butter in the morning.
Whitney’s Notes: I was really excited when Brianna and I decided to work together and I hope to offer you some more recipes from the Hungry Gator Gal in the near future. I’d also like to mention how much this oats parfait rocked my socks. I scraped the sides of the jar with my spoon to get every last bit and it’s absolutely a breakfast I’ll be making again. The lemon tasted fresh but the zest was balanced with the creamy blueberry banana combination. I topped mine with sliced almonds, and made a second jar for my Sweetheart. He, too, wasted no time cleaning the bottom of his parfait jar.
Thanks again, Brianna, for working with me and Every Which Whey to give my readers a fantastic oatmeal recipe.
In Good Company,
Question: What’s the best meal you can remember having as a guest of a friend or family member?